17.8.11

Tinguely Museum and Other Wondrosities

We went to the Jean Tinguely Museum today. I was drawn to him after seeing his sculptures at a fountain near a plaza. He's famous for his use of movement and "junk" in his sculptures. He has an uncanny way of melding machine and macabre into his "antimachines". They also had a special exhibit called Fetisches Autos (Car Fetish) going on, to commemorate Tinguely's (pronounced "Tahn-glee", he was French) obsession with racing and cars. For him, the cars represented freedom, unbridled speed in racing, while being the most advanced technologies, stricture directly opposite his antimachines. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves, but I'll post some videos of his sculptures in motion in another post.

 Sculpture fountain outside the museum:
 Corridor to the first floor:
 Powered drawing machine:
 Interior chamber (spooky lighting, and my brother on a sacrificial tabl- I mean, bench. For, you know, resting museumgoers. Yeah.):
 Lotus racer and five old ladies that represent something or the other:
 Triptych:
 Disassembled car that projects movie clips onto the four walls:
 Introduction to Fetisch Auto
 Disassembled beetle:
 Climbable sculpture in  the atrium.
 Closeup of sculpture. And me somewhere in there:

Nearly all of his sculptures are motor powered and can move. And here is my sad attempt at a five minute paint panorama:

And now for some shots of Basel. Basel has a lot of graffiti, and most of it is pretty good.
 And like Marvin the paranoid android, found under a bridge:
And then there's the ever-present sculptures and open-air art displays. Sometimes they change, sometimes not. These are advertising a museum exhibit: (d20 made of construction signs!)
 And this is outside a police station:
And I'll end this picture-heavy post with a photo of the Basel railyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment