30.3.11

The Final Rundown

Here's the full list. I guess I should change the titles in my blog now.

Accepted:
UChicago
Caltech
Carnegie Mellon
Johns Hopkins
MIT
Cornell
Columbia SEAS
Clemson
USC
UNC Chapel Hill
Washington University in St Louis
Georgia Tech
Wellesley
Duke
And Yale. 

Waitlisted: 
UPenn. (What in the world? I don't get it.)

Rejected: 
Harvard.

So with that final school, my childhood dreams of being a doctor from Harvard finally reach closure. I don't really get why UPenn waitlisted me, but I suppose they were making room for more suitable candidates. I don't blame them. With Harvard, it really isn't where I would have gone, I was just applying for prestige and nostalgia. I'm happy with what I've got (15 out of 17 isn't bad, man!) and I'm happy I didn't have to make the choice between Harvard and other places. 

So what now? I'm trying to wait out for financial aid from a couple of places, though I've already heard back from a few. Y's finaid stands out as stellar right now, and the worst is definitely UNC, though Clemson also is down there, having determined I have NO financial need (pshh, yeah right), and their only good point is that I'll be an instate student. 

But aside from the financial stuff, I had a major freakout about spending four years of my life in a single place. I want to have a time turner and do undergrad at MIT, then Caltech, then UChicago, then Columbia, then CMU, then GATech, then Yale, then Duke, then Wellesley, then........
gah. So many choices, with pros and cons to each. I'll have to keep looking and talking to the finaid offices for the next month. But with IB exams, I'll have made my choice. I can feel the senioritis already...


3 comments:

  1. Just because you got rejected at Harvard doesn't mean you can't get your doctorate from there. Besides, if you're going to grad school, you should switch schools along the way. It's highly frowned upon if you have BS, MS, and PhD from the same university.

    Go to MIT for your BS, then Stanford for your MS and then Harvard for your PhD. What's the big deal?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment! I'm not so disappointed about Harvard, but I am worried that going to MIT for undergrad knocks it out for the running for grad school, which is a problem because most of the research I'm interested in takes place there. I'm feeling lost about what happens after undergrad, and I also don't really know what I want to do (research or academia or industry), so I'm just holding my breath and taking it as it comes. Not being proactive seems wrong to me, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll be fine. Just because you went to MIT for UG doesn't mean you can't go to Harvard for Grad. I know of several people who have done that (or vice versa).

    ReplyDelete