The unofficial count of schools I've been accepted to is now nine. That's just over half of the one's I've applied to, so I'm satisfied.
Last night, at about 11:30 pm, I checked my email and got a surprise letter from Caltech, that university that I applied to on a whim and, after realizing how hardcore math and science they were, forgot about. Turns out they gave out decisions already and turns out I got in. I went "SQUEEEEE" for about twenty minutes and did a little hyperventilating happy dance as my mother watched, amused. I still have no idea why I got in; I have no significant math and science awards, and my friend told me that only the nerdiest of the uber nerds get into this school. I'm guessing my essays were a breath of fresh air for them: they were very frivolous because I had no idea at the time that Caltech != MIT, so I was just quirky and unique.
And now this segues conveniently into my main topic: EA/ED vs. RD. Early action: I applied to two schools early, and none early decision. MIT deferred me, UChicago accepted me. I was going to apply to Caltech EA, but I didn't get the essays done in time.
In retrospect, I should have waited for my MIT submission. I still sometimes read over my UChicago essay. That's how good I think it was. That's how realistic, how interesting, how me it is. I would accept me in a heartbeat based on that essay, because I wanted to meet this Helena girl so much.
My MIT essays, on the other hand, have been untouched until tonight, when I revisited them for a cross comparison. You see, to date, none of my common application schools have replied unfavorable. I'm guessing that this streak has something to do with the fact that Harvard and Yale haven't said anything yet, so I'll see it get broken on the 30th. However, I totally understand why MIT deferred me.
My essays....I was trying to hard to mold every part of me into something I thought they would like. I kind of lost myself in the process, if that's not too cliche. Reading over them gives me no lasting impression. They're good, but they're not striking. I could plaster the mild jokes, interest in robotics and rubik's cubes, and history of moving onto any little Asian girl. There wasn't enough personality, and I should have given it more time. When the decision comes tomorrow night, I can honestly say that I understand if it isn't what I wanted.
So a word of caution to anybody debating Early vs. Regular decision: Early may indicate interest, but interest is nothing without a good application. Don't turn in essays that try to kiss up to the institution. The Unis know they're good; in the application, they want to know you. Present yourself in a way that caters to their known trademarks, but make sure they know it's distinctly YOU. When you read through your essays one last time, ask yourself: "Do I want to meet this person? Do I want to spend four years of my life with the person in these essays? Will I remember this person out of the hundreds of other freshmen?" Because essentially, that is what the admissions officers are doing, other than scrutinizing the SAT scores and extracurriculars and recommendations. They are making sure that the people they admit will contribute uniquely themselves to the incoming class, and they are making sure that these people have enough individuality, accomplishment, and potential to thrive on their campus.
Apply early if you want, but make sure your application says exactly what you want it to say. Otherwise, take those extra two months and create a masterpiece to compete in the next round. Sometimes, it's worth the wait.
No comments:
Post a Comment