28.2.11

Mock Trial

Competition went fairly well. We placed third out of about nine teams, and considering how strong the top two teams were, I'm not complaining. We even have a chance to go to state, if it turns out one team backs out or if there is an odd number of teams. I'll post some pics of our wonderful six-person team.

I had two high points from competition. The first is my performance as a witness. To put it lightly, my witness is STUPID. So stupid it's infuriating how annoying her lack of mental coherence is. So in the first round, the attorney cross examining me asked,
Attorney:  "Are you aware that Merriam-Webster defines "dazzled" as _____?"
Me: Uh.....Who is Merriam Webster? O.o
Attorney:....Merriam-Webster...you know, the dictionary?
Me: Uh.....Oh! Dictionary! Like those...those big books with the words in them? *gestures* Yeah, I don't read those. *limp wrist*

I....I don't even. I had quite an enjoyable time acting like a stupid witness. At some point, the attorney asked if I was focusing more on getting home than on the road; I responded by saying that I had to drive to get home, and thus had to focus on the road in order to focus on getting home. Lawl.

The second high point was probably my last closing argument as an attorney. I went off-script and made up a responding argument to the Defense's side in the five minute recess before my closing, and I think it went fairly well. I was shaking in my pointed-toe pumps, but I think I got my point across. At this point, we were in a power-matched match against one of the two teams who were later selected to go to state, so as somebody who was always uncertain about her abilities as an attorney, believe me when I say, I think we did pretty well, and I think I did better than I ever had.

It bothers me when I'm mediocre at something that I feel I have the potential to excel at. But that's a rant for another day.

I got another likely today. I still squeeeed. (meaning that I emitted a high-pitched "Squeeeeeeee!" that matched resonance frequencies of several test tubes in my biology classroom.) Over the weekend, I got confirmation of a full ride plus stipend and laptop to a state university, which had my parents overjoyed. This weekend, I'll be heading to Atlanta for a college weekend. I have lots of good memories from Atlanta, from the Underground to the Coca-Cola World, to centennial park and fireworks and romance, to the 2008 FIRST Championship. And now, I have a great college to add to my fondness of Atlanta! I think things are going to be alright.

Also, I am excited for Protest the Hero's new album, Scurrilous, due out later this month. Radiohead just released their new album, King of Limbs, which I have yet to check out, but will do so soon. Finally, a question to end this post, based on a discussion me and my friends were having at lunch today: Do people in Pokemon eat meat?

No comments:

Post a Comment