23.2.11

College is going to make me po'

So why exactly is college so expensive? After getting an estimated aid package, that doesn't even cover HALF of my tuition, I'm a bit disappointed and saddened each time something comes from this school and reminds me that I probably won't be able to go because I simply won't be able to afford it. I refuse to come out of college with about 80,000 dollars in debt. And that's a conservative estimate. So far, two of my dream schools don't show any sign of contributing significantly towards by tuition, and that's just too bad: My parents and I have already decided that financial aid is going to be the determining factor in where I end up going, since I've gotten a pretty fantastic offer from another great engineering school already, and though it isn't my first choice, it's certainly the most viable by far, and I can't say I'd be devastated by going there.
It just disappoints me that money is what is keeping me from attending the places I tried so hard to get into. I never considered that financial matters would hold me back; I always thought the hard part was just getting in. But now I see what they mean when they question whether a college is really "worth it". I honestly am shocked at the pricing; I don't make money, so even a couple of thousand seems like a LOT of money to me.

Eh. I've been offered a potential full ride at two three places now, two of which I may very well decide to matriculate at. I guess I'll have to cut down on chai lattes and smoothies from now on, if I want to have some chance of making it through college without getting bankrupt.

No comments:

Post a Comment